KS4 option - TED (Engineering Design)
Subject Leader: Mr C Scullion
Britain has a long and proud engineering history. Many great inventors and engineers have developed and created solutions that assist in daily life. The Technology, Engineering and Design course (TED) looks to inspire young engineers and develop the skills they need to make a career in engineering, manufacturing and Industry.
Key Stage 4 option
At Key Stage 4 we offer the TED course as an Option. This offers an interesting overlap between ICT, Design Technology and Science.
The course participants aim to produce a product/prototype that could be mass manufactured. During the product development, Participants will;
- Follow a design brief from the client.
- Choose suitable materials for the location and budget.
- Design their products using technical drawing skills and Computer Aided Design,
- Dismantle and reassemble existing products to gain experiences of product development and electrical circuits.
- Product testing, designing tests that the students feel are necessary to improve the product and check its worthiness for the intended use.
- Create graphics for the product logo, packaging and social media platforms.
- Visit factories to gain experience of mass manufacture methods.
- Create circuit and coding for advancing the viability of the product.
We use a number of locations in school to deliver the TED curriculum. The ICT suite provides access to the Computer Aided Design software “Autodesk Fusion 360”, an industry spec CAD software that allows students to create and test the structural integrity of the product before moving to the 3D printer.
The Design Technology workshop is available for the manufacturing processes to be developed and practiced. These include the use of hand tools, vacuum forming and circuit building.
The Science lab is our prototype testing room. Students have created and produced equipment to test the products in the conditions it is expected to function.
Qualification: Cambridge National award in “Engineering and Design”
- Level 1/2 Cambridge National Award in Engineering Design
- Level 1/2 Cambridge National Certificate in Engineering Design (Equivalent to one GCSE)