Our School Community
West Kirby School and College recognises how we can benefit from partnerships and how important it is for our pupils to be involved in a wider school community. As a school our community includes:
- Parents, carers and wider families
- Local West Kirby and Hoylake community including our local churches
- Charities - local and national
- Local primary, secondary and special schools
- Enrichment and wellbeing activity partners
- Professional national SEND specialist bodies including National Autistic Society, ADHD Foundation, Jennifer Nock Attachment and Trauma Sensitive Schools
- Clinical partners including Speech and Language and Occupational therapists
We have partnerships with local schools, colleges and universities; forging and developing links enable all to share good practice. As part of our Community training programme we have embarked on creating a number of partnerships, consisting of local Primary schools, Secondary schools and Special Schools, in order to coordinate and share expertise and best practice. Creating links between schools and developing strong professional relationships would, we envisage, ultimately raise standards for all involved.
Our school also participates in providing Initial Teacher Training placements for students from Hope University and Edge Hill University by providing mentoring for students wishing to gain experience within an SEN environment. WKS can provide training and support while students observe high quality teaching and behaviour management and gain invaluable skills to take forward into their teaching career. In return members of staff from WKS are able to develop and extend their skills as part of their continual professional development, thereby driving forward school improvement.