We’re proud to announce we’ve maintained our Autism Accreditation status, across our school and residential settings since 2013. This is awarded by National Autistic Society and re-assessed every 3 years.
We aspire to continually provide a high quality learning environment that nurtures, supports and develops our young people. This accreditation celebrates the work our dedicated staff team do to support our pupils.
West Kirby School maintains Autism Accreditation status - December 2019
Please find our full assessment report below for more information:
“The committee found compelling evidence that the school provides personal centred educational, care and therapeutic support which reflects an understanding of autism.” National Autistic Society
Other feedback comments include
- “Staff have a high knowledge of autism and how it impacts on young people and are able to support them.”
- “The schools curriculum is enriching and diverse.”
- “There is a strong focus on promoting well-being and raising self esteem.”
- “Feedback from both young people and parents/carers is overwhelmingly positive.”
- “Pupils commented to NAS “Teachers are friendly and approachable.. listen to their needs and ideas...support students when they are finding it difficult.”
West Kirby School achieve "Autism Enhanced Practice Commendation"
We're proud to announce National Autistic Society have awarded West Kirby School and College 'Enhanced Practice Commendation'.
National Autistic Society say "Commendations are only awarded to those provisions who go above and beyond general good practice".
This outstanding achievement highlights the individualised provision and supportive strategies we have in places and the amazing work our experienced and well trained staff team all do.
Did you know?
- West Kirby is 1 of 7 provisions in the UK to have received an Enhanced Practice Commendation
- West Kirby School is also 1 of only 4 provisions in the North West to have received Enhanced Practice Commendation
- West Kirby School is currently the only residential school in the Accreditation process to have gained Enhanced Practice Commendation.
- This is the UK's only autism-specific quality assurance programme and the longest running in the world.
West Kirby School achieved 'Autism Accreditation in 2013.
Established by the National Autistic Society (NAS) and its affiliated local societies, with support from the Department of Health, Autism Accreditation has been the foundation upon which much of the successful expansion of quality services for people with Autism has been built.
In order to achieve accreditation an organisation must provide evidence that:
- It has specialised knowledge and understanding of Autism
- The knowledge and understanding of Autism consistently informs the organisation, the resources and management of the organisation
- The knowledge and understanding of Autism consistently informs the assessment and support plan for people who use our service
- The knowledge and understanding of Autism consistently informs all aspects of practice
- The evidence is evaluated using Autism-specific criteria, which are applied to each area of the organisation reviewed
- The Autism Accreditation award provides a seal of quality and can give people peace of mind when choosing a service
- This is providing all of us as staff members a great opportunity to develop our knowledge and practice with pupils with Autism and to provide consistency and predictability within the curriculum and school environment, which is what so many of them need.