KS4 qualification information
West Kirby School aims to offer a broad curriculum and range of qualifications to support pupils with varying needs. We continue to provide for those more academically able individual, alongside complex young people with challenging areas of needs impacting on their ability to access and learn.
The available qualifications can be academic, vocational or skills-related and are grouped into levels. For further curriculum information please speak to Mrs Wynne, Deputy Head, Quality of Education.
Qualifications and certificates currently offered are:
Entry Level Qualifications - These are for pupil who are not yet ready for the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE). Entry Level Qualifications focus on a specific subject or area of learning, allowing the pupil to develop the basic knowledge and skills for work or to continue education. Currently we offer English, Maths and Computing.
Functional Skills - Functional Skills qualifications allow the learners to acquire practical skills. Currently we're offering English, Maths and Computing.
Foundation Course (FCSEs)
GSCEs Qualifications - The GSCEs are taken by 14 to 16 year olds. GCSE’s are now graded from 1-9. These are assessed by examination at the end of a 2 or 3 year course. We're currently offering:
- English Language and English Literature
- Science (Dual Award)
- 3Dmedia (DT)
- Religious Education
A and AS Level Qualifications - These qualifications are intended for pupils who want to gain a deeper knowledge of a particular subject and are usually studied by 16 and 18 years olds who have completed the GSCEs. They are graded A – U. We also support students to study A-Levels in other subjects with local Sixth Form Colleges whilst within our provision.
Other qualifications and awards we offer are:
- Arts Award – Bronze, Silver and Gold
- Duke of Edinburgh Award – Bronze, Silver and Gold
- Cambridge Technical ICT
- Cambridge National ICT
- ASDAN Vocational Awards – Gardening, Catering, Sports & Fitness, Sex & Relationships
- Preparation Working for Life – Level 1 and 2
- Open Award Skills for Further learning & Employment
- Life and Living Skills Award – Entry level 2 and 3 – Residential Care pupils
* Qualifications offered may change each year according to the cohort.