As a non-maintained special school, West Kirby School and College (Formerly known as West Kirby Residential School) caters for children and young people, aged 5-19 years, with a range of complex special educational needs and disabilities. We support pupils with social and communication difficulties, including Autistic Spectrum Condition; complex learning, sensory and emotional needs, across a range of cognitive abilities.
Our aim is for our young people to leave West Kirby School with academic accreditations, together with developed social, emotional and communication skills. We achieve this through a structured, supportive learning environment with an individualised curriculum, based on the concept of relevant and meaningful learning, where children and young people make aspirational progress from their starting point.
Our on-site Support Services includes Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Clinical Psychology and Pastoral Care. All Support Services are an intrinsic part to pupils' education at West Kirby School and College; integrated across the school and Residential Care provision, this support web underpins our pupils' learning, development and success.
In tandem with this, we promote the development of life skills through structured activities, wellbeing and life adventures, both in and outside of school. These enrich learning opportunities and give pupils an appreciation of the wider world, community and charitable partnerships. Our broad approach enables pupils to experience and develop career pathways which will lead them to a successful adult life.
Due to its location to the North West om the Wirral peninsula, West Kirby School and College is able to offer a wide range of opportunities for community relationships, sports, water recreation and natural history. Liverpool and Chester with their wealth of art, culture and history are within easy reach. The school is close to the centre of West Kirby village and is just two hundred yards from the nearest beach and local marine lake.
Our school vision
The Senior Leadership Team share an impassioned vision for the school, which is to:
- Share the high expectation that children and young people (CYP) at the school achieve at least five GCSEs or equivalent (depending on ability)
- Ensure that young people leave school with a good reading level
- Support, enable and develop CYP who have previously struggled to access education (including being PEX) to self-regulate and manage their social emotional and mental health and physical needs both within a school environment and in life
- Become respectful members of society who are community minded, uphold British Values, understand Protected Characteristics and who contribute to charitable causes
- Enable young people to be proactive, enterprising, aspirational and career minded
- Ensure that CYP and their parents/carers feel pride in their achievements and a developed/developing self-esteem
- Develop independence and resilience in pupils
- Enable staff to feel pride in and be aspirational for their pupils and for themselves
Our core school values are:
- Be nurturing
- Be understanding
- Be aspirational
- Be enterprising
- Be respectful
- Be proactive
West Kirby School and College operates under the umbrella of the charity 'West Kirby Residential School'. Registered Charity No. 207790.